Saturday, May 09, 2009

Uninspired

I have, for some reason, not been writing much here lately. It's almost like I've written all my views, explored all my interests, and told all my stories. That's not really true, because there are stories happening here almost every day. There are ideas rattling around in my head. There are even partially written blog posts.

The trouble seems to be motivation. I do something, and I think, I should post about that. Then later, I think, well, it's not that interesting. It's not worth the trouble. I wouldn't be saying anything new. I'm feeling like the band that puts out a couple decent albums and then can't keep it going.

There are no big stories here. Just the day-to-day activities. Things that would have been exciting and new a couple years ago are just part of life now. Or they're things I talked about doing two years ago and am finally getting around to now.

Today I went to the Farmer's Market. I bought some greens, some homemade pasta, and a wild blueberry pie. I picked some asparagus. I made them into dinner. I rearranged the area of our basement that is supposed to become a root cellar some day. I found some cool stuff while cleaning out the garage. I did a little work on "picnic table" I'm building into the still-unfinished arbor. Yesterday I sold seven dozen eggs at work. I love all this stuff. I just don't have anything clever to say about it.

I'm learning all kinds of useful but mundane things. When we started this, I dreamed of being a bit of a purist. If it runs on gas, avoid it. If it's made of petroleum, look for an alternative. If it'll have to be replaced, wait and save your money. Now I can see both sides of many an issue. I see the downside of rototilling, and also the usefulness. I can understand why you'd want one tractor (or other engine) to perform multiple tasks, but I also see how more specialized tools can have their advantages. I understand the benefits of glass for a greenhouse, and also of thin plastic that comes on rolls. And in every case, the decision is not clear cut.

It's like predicting the future. Inflation or deflation? Pandemic or energy depletion or climate change or the status quo or neverending prosperity and growth. (Though simple physics tells us that ultimately growth of any kind cannot be sustained indefinitely.) Last year I saw people predicting an oil price spike, and I saw people predicting an oil price collapse. I know of nobody who predicted both. That just goes to show that it's all a guessing game. And that it's a game that's pretty tricky to win. You look like a genius for a while and then like a fool. Or vice versa.

What does this have to do with anything? Who knows? I guess I just admire people who can keep their blogs going every week - even every day - for years on end. Or authors who can churn out book after book. I can barely take steps toward minor goals some weeks.

Meanwhile, I've got to get some sleep. Today was a good long day, but I'm ready for some shut-eye.

--

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5/10/2009 7:09 AM, Blogger knutty knitter said...

That uninspired thing hit me too and I have to admit to not posting much just because there isn't much to say. Its much more fun just to comment on other blogs and I find that by the time I've done this a few times, there's nothing left to say.

viv in nz

 
At 5/10/2009 12:23 PM, Blogger d.a. said...

I've found that the urge to write goes in cycles, and it is good to have some "down" time.

 
At 5/10/2009 12:59 PM, Anonymous leslie said...

The "I don't know what to write about bug" has been visiting my blog, too.
Your observations on being a purist are spot on. I approached my 'back to the land' experience with a purist's heart, and learned that it doesn't always work like that. I tend to be an "all or nothing" personality, so it was difficult for me to come to grips with my inability to remain 'pure'.
I did learn that every little bit does help toward a less abused planet, so I keep on doing what I can, and allowing myself the room to make compromises.
Hail to you!

 
At 5/10/2009 7:04 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I hear ya! It's tough finding that balance, and then, when you've been blogging about your journey toward that equilibrium for so long, it can start to feel like there's not much else to say. Either your audience hears you, or they never will.

However, I do feel like you have more to say, and I hope you'll drop by occasionally to share what you're doing. In particular with the "root cellar." We don't have a basement, but I understand that some sort of non-electric food storage is essential, and I'm always interested in what other people are doing - to get ideas for my own :).

 
At 5/12/2009 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FWIW, I think that spring is really very unspiring time. Not only is the school year drawing to a close, which give the feeling of The End rather than the beginining (and it's a feeling the carries over long after our school days are over), but most things in nature are at a pretty low ebb -- if they've made it through the winter, their stores are pretty much deplated.

MEA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home