Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The only thing we have to fear is.... milk?

Between our children, our goats, our donkey, our pond, and our homestead in general, we don't often get invited to visit friends and family. They come visit us.

Everybody loves to come see the animals, and they know our kids are best visited in their own habitat. (I think our little Chaos Girl is banished from Grammy's house after an incident with a potted plant and brand new cream colored carpet.)

They all love coming out here, and I can't blame them.

But there's one consistency with our visitors that just cracks me up. So far, of all the people who have come out here since we acquired the goats, not a single person has taken us up on offers of home-grown dairy goodness. Nobody will even taste the goat milk.

Personally, I don't know if I could tell the difference between the goat's milk and whole organic cow's milk from the store. (I know, "organic" can be a problematic label, but organic milk is definitely superior to regular milk in my view. Well, unless it's from Horizon.) I might be able to differentiate between the two, given a glass of each, but if you blindfolded me and handed me one glass, and asked me whether it was from the store or from a goat, I don't know if I'd get it right every time. My kids both seem to have a preference for the fresh stuff.

But guests fear the goat milk. They are terrified of it. They have no hesitation about walking into a store and buying watered-down milk that came from a smelly, polluting factory farm halfway across the country that houses overcrowded, antibiotic and hormone-laden cows who are probably ankle deep in manure and have never seen the sky or had one bite of grass...

But the milk in the mason jar might taste "goaty."

Of course, if I did pour someone a glass of our milk, I'd be in violation of state laws. The Amish farmer who was busted for giving a glass of milk to an undercover agent lost his court case. But then, even the judge's ruling was inconsistent with the law as written.

Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like one of those crazy people again.

Maybe I'm just a lawless renegade, but if you're thirsty, you can have a glass of milk... if you can overcome the fear.

6 Comments:

At 8/11/2006 8:33 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

I have to admit, I haven't had the nerve to try goat milk again after the ghastly reeking stuff I fed my baby boy when I had no milk and he was allergic to formula. It was truly disgusting. However, that was from the store after god-knows-what had been done to it. I have a friend who stopped in last week and said he's been milking goats and the milk is WONDERFUL. (He attributes this to not having a billy.) I'm going to get brave and try it.

Of course, he won't be able to offer me a glass. If a glass of goat milk happens to be on the table and I pick it up in all innocence, firmly trusting and believing that it's government approved dairy cow milk, well, who could be blamed for that? ;-).

Ya know, e4, when the revolution comes....

 
At 8/12/2006 7:24 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

ummmmmmm I'd try it but I have a hard time eating anything if I put to much tought in it. I recently tried kangaroo and all I could think of was a cute little roo hoping through the out back.

 
At 8/12/2006 1:30 PM, Blogger barefoot gardener said...

I have had cows milk straight from the cow, since I have friends who have a farm and drink their own milk. I had trouble with my system not dealing well with it. I suppose when you are used to the processed product it takes a while for your system to get used to the real thing. I have never had an opportunity to have goat's milk, but would like to try.
Kudos to you for having the guts to try in the first place.

 
At 8/12/2006 8:38 PM, Blogger Beo said...

I think we know why the helicopters are there now E4...

 
At 8/14/2006 8:02 PM, Blogger JBTW said...

I can say that I had goats milk once many years ago. It didn't win me over, but then, I also don't drink whole cows milk -- I'm a skim/slim whatever you know it as girl. Always have been, always will be!

 
At 8/28/2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I love the taste of fresh goat milk and can't wait to have my own caprines to milk! I think if people put aside their preconceived notions, they'd find a lot of things taste better. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home