Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Should we start the countdown yet?

Thirty-seven weeks. Our baby is into the "full term" category at this point. The midwives came over the other night to make sure they could find their way to our house, to see how we're set up, and to go over contingency plans and so on. We even get a "bonus" doula slash third midwife-in-training.

And yes, in case you don't know already, we're planning for a home birth. It's got to be better than our hospital experience. We're also using hypnosis. These two items probably put us on the remotes fringes of normalcy. I remember being normal. What a long strange trip it's been.

Knowledge of these two facts would probably also send most of my relatives into fits and convulsions, made worse by trying to remain polite and not accidentally scream, "WHAT ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY?!" But if we wait and tell them after the fact, they'll raise admiring eyebrows and become very inquisitive and tell us how cool they think it is. So they'll just have to hold off on that part of the story. We're not highly secretive about it, but that kind of thing doesn't come up. And I don't feel the need to cause undue worry. So there you go.

Meanwhile, the excitement and anticipation is starting to build. We've probably got at least a couple more weeks, but we're about as ready as we'll ever be.

Well, except for picking a name...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 2/28/2008 10:37 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

yippie a baby a baby

 
At 2/28/2008 6:41 PM, Blogger JBTW said...

I was wondering about you guys... I hope (as you both do) that all goes smoothly. I'm sure it will, you seem quite prepared. (It can go by "baby" for a while.) :)

 
At 2/29/2008 9:50 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Ooh, now I'm squirming - I don't know how you can stand these last weeks!

 
At 2/29/2008 11:11 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

I've had five babies. Birth experiences, in order, c-section after "failure to progress"; hospital VBAC with pitocin - OB in attendance; hospital VBAC with pitocin - certified nurse midwife in attendance; ambulance birth -Paramedic and EMT in attendance; (planned midwife supported) home birth in bathtub - husband in attendance (because the midwife was late ... and in the tub wasn't planned. That's just where I was when the baby was ready to emerge :).

My best two birth experiences were the last two! From my VAST birthing experiences, I think you have chosen wisely :). Seriously, pain meds are horribly over-rated and over used, and I actually felt BETTER laboring in the privacy and safety of my home with nothing to "help" me :).

I'll be looking forward to hearing the baby news ;).

 
At 2/29/2008 1:38 PM, Blogger CG said...

My homebirths are so long ago now that I don't even think of them as alternative anymore. But I was telling one of the girls at the barn about birthing the other day, and I made it through all four of them, and *then* she said, "You had them at HOME?", to which I said, "Yes," to which she said, "That's just crazy."

As she smokes another cigarette.

Best to you ALL, and remember the words of my beloved midwife during our third birth when I said, "I just can't get comfortable anymore," and she said, "Honey, I think you are past comfortable."

 
At 3/01/2008 12:56 PM, Blogger Pat Meadows said...

Hi - You must be pretty sure your relatives don't read your blog! Otherwise, the secret is out...

Regards,
Pat

 
At 3/03/2008 8:40 AM, Blogger jewishfarmer said...

I had three unmedicated midwife birthing center births, and the last one went on for 11 days (don't ask), and they were still all way, way, way better than the OB hospital birth.

Trust me, you've made a good choice.

Sharon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home