Independence Days week 5
Hmm... This should be interesting.
1. Plant something - Nothing this week.
2. Harvest something - Nothing.
3. Preserve something - Nope.
4. Reduce waste - More like generated excess waste.
5. Preparation and Storage - Nada.
6. Build Community Food Systems - Does trading canned goods with somebody in another state count?
So what's with the pathetic report this week? Well, to make a long story short, we were busily canceling out all our efforts by burning copious fossil fuels. We took a last minute road trip to go visit Independence Days originator Sharon Astyk, as well as some family in New York.
Unfortunately, the trip got cut short when Lori developed a really bad case of strep throat. But we did get to hang out with Sharon and The Boys for a few days.
Sharon's lifestyle, unlike the fictional account she portrays on her web site, is one of unrivaled luxury. Her chartered cargo planes fly hardwood lumber from China to cook with, because, as she puts it, "Asian greens taste so much better when cooked with Asian fuel." Her turnip-shaped hot tub is filled with bottled Fiji Water, and changed twice daily by her staff. Her heated greenhouse is lined with full grown citrus trees, while her cooled greenhouse grows mache, baby carrots, and endangered meat penguins.
Authors have all the fun.
Labels: Independence Days