Sunday, June 21, 2009

I love this chart

I've been tracking our monthly electricity usage ever since we moved into this house, in a spreadsheet. It's got all kinds of nerdy calculations in it that estimate money saved, carbon dioxide saved, percent change, etc. But my favorite thing about it is the bar graph that shows monthly electricity usage from year to year.



I had to shrink it a bit to fit on this page, but hopefully you can at least see the downward stair effect on most months. It's getting harder to keep it going down, but I was really excited that we finally broke the 500 kWh barrier. As far as I can figure, it's going to be really tough to beat last month's 480 without either replacing our well pump or ditching our fridge or freezer. It probably helped that we were gone for the better part of a week too.

But I do think it's cool that our highest bill so far this year is lower than our lowest bill in 2006.

Anyway, hopefully we can keep descending that staircase for the rest of 2009. That's always my goal: Less than the same month last year.

--

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6/22/2009 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great idea! I'll have to start a chart of my own. =)

 
At 6/23/2009 7:44 AM, Blogger jewishfarmer said...

Dude, ice packs in the fridge. Ice packs in the fridge. ;-)


Or you could just tell Lori "we're not using the well pump anymore - you won't mind hauling all the water into the house and hand washing the clothes, right, sweetie?"

I vote for #2, of course ;-)
Sharon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home