Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mail order orchard

Wow, I just bought an entire orchard. It should arrive by mail in early April. I've got six different apple trees, two each of three different blackberry bushes, three blueberry bushes, two serviceberry bushes, a mess of strawberry plants, a chestnut seedling, clumping bamboo... I would have bought some cherry trees and peach trees too if they hadn't been out of stock. And if I can ever get the arbor built, I'll add grapes. I'd like to try some of the more uncommon nuts and berries, like gooseberries, currants, etc. And then there's pears and plums... But I think I've done enough damage to the bank account for now. I just hope the first week of April has some decent weather so I can get all this stuff in the ground!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 5:19 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

You must be rich!

 
At 3/22/2006 5:19 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

Good luck or good digging.

 
At 3/22/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger e4 said...

Just got a bonus from work. Well, that, and I'm buying these puny little twigs that are about 2 feet tall...

 
At 3/22/2006 7:55 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

Have fun digging in the dirt with your tiny twigs in hand.

 
At 10/17/2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Gigamatt said...

If you don't mind the extra work, planting peach pits (or nectarine pits) worked pretty well for my parents.

They haven't gotten the massive, free-stone peaches they would love, but what they have been getting are trees positively loaded with peaches perfectly good for pies.

I'm convinced with better watering and careful pruning when small, their trees would've been less scraggly, and the production would've been just as high.

Seriously, they were hanging like bunches of grapes all OVER the trees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home