Monday, August 28, 2006

Hodgepodge

A little Monday morning randomness
Sweetest thing e5 said this weekend:
"When Amelia learns to talk, I'm gonna jump up and down!"

And the next day, the sweetness was cancelled out by this:
"When Amelia can talk, I can tell her to get me something to eat and something to drink!"

Web site that for some reason makes me laugh until my eyes are watering every single time I read it:
Weight Watchers, circa 1974
Pick a card, any card, and click on it...

New favorite time-management method:
The Pickle Jar Theory

Current favorite gardening book:
Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman

Most amusing and confusing parental moment:
My daughter's favorite way to communicate is to grab your finger, lead you to what she wants, and put your hand on it. At one point yesterday, she grabbed my finger, led me through the kitchen and into the library, did an about-face and continued walking (leaving me lurching to turn around), led me back through the kitchen into the living room, and then dropped my finger and wandered off to play. I guess indecisiveness is genetic.

Proudest parental moment:
E5 didn't cry or complain when they wouldn't let him ride on the "big" kiddie coaster at King's Island, despite waiting all the way through the line. (He was like three millimeters too short.) Everyone on the coaster booed when they turned us away. He rode every ride they'd let him. Thanks to my employer for the free tickets...

Lamest thing at Paramount's King's Island:
Paramount has turned the entire theme park into a tribute to marketing. All the rides in the children's area were themed after Nickelodeon TV shows (including the Nick-O-Round). The bigger rides had televisions along the way, showing clips from Paramount movies, ads for Paramount TV shows, Paramount music videos... And if that weren't atrocious enough, the TV screens had advertisements hanging under them. So basically, the ads had ads. (Thankfully, Cedar Fair has agreed to purchase King's Island. They know how to run an amusement park!)

Most pathetic thing you'll find on our homestead:
Our "nice" car has a busted tail light, a side mirror held on with duct tape, and a bumper held on with duct tape. We still owe money on this car. Geniuses we are not.

Dumbest thing I've done in the past 24 hours:
I unthinkingly drank three large glasses of Mountain Dew when we went out to dinner last night. I don't drink much caffiene, so that kept me going well into the night. Curse you, free refills! (See how I shifted the blame? See that?)

Strangest thing happening right now:
The sun theoretically came up several hours ago, but the sky is so dark and foggy and gloomy that cars are still using their headlights. Lightening is flickering and thunder is rumbling in the distance. Surprisingly (until I think it through), the brief power outage we just experienced didn't affect my computer or internet connection. (I'm on dial-up, on a battery-powered laptop. The monitor went off, but when the power came back up, everything was just as I had left it.)

Site that makes me feel like maybe I'm not totally insane:
Peak Oil Blues

Most life-changing web site:
Zombo.com
(It's been like that for years and years. I don't know why.)

Thing I really wish I could be doing right now:
Sleeping

Thing I really should be doing right now:
Working

Thing I am doing right now:
Procrastinating.

Aren't you glad you're here to witness it?

11 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

"Card #14 -Sometimes mere adjectives for mackerel are not enough. Sometimes mackerel is mackerel unto itself. Sometimes you just have to let go. Mackerelease yourself. Embrace mackereality."

I laughed so hard at these cards that I had to click off the page because I thought I was going to wake Maya up from her nap...and the I went to Zombo.com and almost peed myself. I am still laughing and I may be all day. Thanks!!!

 
At 8/28/2006 2:29 PM, Blogger e4 said...

I had a co-worker come to me in tears after I sent him that Weight Watcher's link. He had to stop reading and walk away from his desk he was laughing so hard. I don't know if he ever made it through them all.

 
At 8/28/2006 6:02 PM, Blogger ~Lori said...

Heee... I'd forgotten (again!) about those Weight Watchers cards. Instant belly laughs, every time. I love them all, but I think this one is still my favorite:

"The Soup is Inspiration. The Soup is Love. Smell the Soup...."

 
At 8/29/2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Time management theories? Real people actually use those?

I have a list, and I get a little pleasurable jolt every time I cross something off.

Those WW cards are something else. Not food.

And e5 is just exactly like a sibling!

 
At 8/30/2006 7:42 AM, Blogger e4 said...

Well, Madcap, that "time management method" struck me as something pretty close to just making a list. Mostly I just like the fact that it revolves around pickles (or pancakes).

 
At 8/30/2006 8:27 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

What is with that Zombo.com thing? Does it ever actually get around to anything?

 
At 8/30/2006 4:03 PM, Blogger e4 said...

What's with it? I just don't know.

And no, it never gets around to anything....

 
At 8/30/2006 10:02 PM, Blogger Beo said...

2 things.

1) We took our kids to 6 Flags this weekend on free tickets. Are you flying the black helicopters now? The duality is freaking me out.

2) Zombo.com is effing hilarious.
Welcome to you who have made it possible for me to do anything...

 
At 8/31/2006 12:47 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Six Flags had everything themed after WB/Marvel characters. I would have preferred Nick Jr. characters. The kids had no clue there was a theme at Six Flags I bet. Bugs WHO??? Those WW cards were quite a hit on the Veggie Board at WW this Spring. Isn't that lady publishing a book of those cards?

 
At 8/31/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger ~Lori said...

Mia, I have her book, I'm Not the New Me; described on the jacket as "the memoir of the author's odyssey - online and off - through the Valley of the Shadow of Her Really Big Ass." Manages to be at the same time poignant and yet quite funny - though not consistently as funny as the WW cards (which is good, since that would probably be fatal). There are bonus NEW WW cards in the book, too!

 
At 8/31/2006 4:18 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Ah! Good to know. I'll have to check it out, now that I know I'll be safe from the fits of hysteria that Beo was in last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home