Monday, September 11, 2006

Another paradigm shift

I already know we've bitten off more than we can chew. But it's too good to spit out.

I sit at my desk at work, mentally listing off all the hundred things I need to do, and frankly, that I'd rather be doing. But it's not time yet. When the weekend comes, I tend to do a brain dump of all those hundred things, and then I try to cross as many off as I can before Monday morning. Of course, daddyhood, and Mother Nature, and life in general usually intervene. They don't really know about workdays vs. weekends. I never get much done, or so it seems to my list.

I never used to be this way -- all task oriented. But here I am. And it's not really working that well.

Soooo.... I thought maybe it was time for a change. I came up with a new method. Necessity is the mother of Invention. (Well, Necessity used to be the mother of Invention. Now it's the great-great-grandmother. Today, Invention is the bastard son of Sales & Marketing. But I'm wandering off track again...)

Old way:
- Make a to-do list
- Get sidetracked by kids, Mother Nature, life in general
- Only cross off one or two completed items from your list
- Feel discouraged

New way:
- Do stuff
- Make a list of what you did
- Cross off every single item on the list
- Feel encouraged

Now all I need to do is think of a catchy name, pad it with another fifty or sixty thousand words, a few charts and diagrams, inspirational quotations, and a blurb on the back cover from some fabricated book critic... That should be enough to get me on the AM radio circuit, a morning news magazine show or two, and voila, a couple hundred thousand in book sales!

Oops. I think I just made a to-do list.

I guess I need to do a little fine-tuning...

4 Comments:

At 9/11/2006 8:46 PM, Blogger ~Lori said...

Oooh, this is quotable: "We've bitten off more than we can chew. But it's too good to spit out." Just keep chewing! Heh.

No AM radio circuits.... Cuts into chore time.

 
At 9/11/2006 9:12 PM, Blogger Mia said...

This is actually exactly how I like to do my to-do lists! Sometimes on the rare occasion that I have a pre-fab to-do list and do something not on it, I quickly add on what I did and check it off. Woo-hoo!

 
At 9/12/2006 2:12 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

perhaps Ham radio?

 
At 9/12/2006 7:23 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Oh, definitely! And use a big piece of paper, because then you can jot down everything, all those bits and pieces of life that are absolutely necessary but don't usually get the dignity of a listing. It's very impressive!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home