Monday, June 25, 2007

Capitalism at its finest

"You know, I really want to watch TV, but I'm toooo tired! Sitting partially upright is soooo much work!"

"Wait, I know, I'll get a pair of prism glasses! For only $49.95, I'll be able to watch TV without lifting my head at all!"




"You know, I need a perch for my bird, but I just don't know where to find something, like, um... well, like a stick."

"Oh look! Petsmart has these beautiful natural wood perches for only $9.99! And they're so sticklike! Perfect!"




"And while I'm at Petsmart, I'll get this 48 oz bag of timothy hay for my pet. It's only $7.49. A good price for dried grass clippings. After all, it's timothy grass. I'm sure it's 40 times better than a $2.50 bale of hay, since it costs 40 times as much per pound."





"Candles! They're such a hassle! First you have to light them. Then you have to blow them out. Who needs it?!"

"If only there were some kind of electronic candle you could plug and charge so it could be powered by a big, polluting coal plant somewhere and then sent to a landfill when the battery goes bad!"

"Hey look, here's one!"

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6/25/2007 10:00 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

It's amazing what people will pay good money to buy. A few years ago I watched as a friend purchased set of "bagel tongs." Seriously, the only use for this product was to get hot bagels out of the toaster and not burn your fingers. Okay - bagel not THAT hot!

I'm still waiting for the mouth guard I can use to protect me from burning my tongue on hot beverages. Not THAT would be a product worth buying.

P.S. I love your article below. It brings up some pretty interesting information, and I'm really interested in the fact that ancient farmers knew more about gardening "ungardenable" land than modern farmers know about planting completely fertile soil. They have soil amenities that continually improve soil and we have ... bagel tongs. So much for modern "technology" and "progressiveness."

 
At 6/26/2007 3:20 PM, Blogger e4 said...

And I forgot the item that made me think to do this post in the first place!

I bought a package of underwear a couple weeks ago that came in a reclosable package. It had a flap with a sticky backing so you could seal the bag shut again. Reclosable? For what? To seal in freshness?

 
At 6/26/2007 7:09 PM, Blogger JBTW said...

Ha. You amuse me greatly.

 
At 6/26/2007 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you find with those so-called recloseable bags that they don't always work anyway and you have to just rip into them. Thanks for the laughs this post provided, sad as these products are...

 
At 7/02/2007 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! People buy bottled water (from who knows where) like crazy here in Duluth, sitting on the shore of one of the world's cleanest lakes. Tsk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home