Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Giving us The Bird

I'm smitten with OEFFA. This year they offered a Thanksgiving box of local food that was pretty amazing. Our box contained:

5 lbs of potatoes
1 bunch of carrots
1 bunch of beets
2 lbs of onions
2 butternut squashes
1 pie pumpkin
1 head each of red and green cabbage
1 head of leaf lettuce
1 dozen fresh eggs
1/2 peck of apples
2 lbs of broccoli
1 bunch each of sage, thyme, and parsley
1 bunch of celery
1 lb of whole wheat flour
1 head of garlic

Throw in a 15 lb turkey and we must have a good two weeks' worth of food for our little household. Not to mention the fact that they also included recipes:

Squash sage bisque
Potato leek soup
Roast turkey
Herbed giblet dressing
Fried cabbage and onions
Herb roasted potatoes and vegetables
Winter squash puree
Boiled potatoes with parsley and chives
Honey-mustard glazed carrots
Parsley/walnut beets
Raw broccoli salad
Russian beet and egg salad
Squash biscuits
Baked apples
Spicy pumpkin pie
Prize-winning apple pie
...along with suggested menu combinations

We cooked our turkey with the brine method that's come into vogue, and I can see why it has. The meat was really tender and juicy. The potatoes were fabulous. The apples have been a big hit with e5, who never used to like to eat apples with the skin on. We tried the parsley/walnut beet recipe, and it was quite good. Of course we didn't get to eat it until the next day because it took a lot longer for the beets to get tender than we anticipated. So it cooked while we ate, and we just served it with leftovers.

Yes, I'm talking in the past tense, even though it's only Wednesday. Among other reasons that aren't worth explaining, we decided that since we had a fresh turkey, and no travel plans, we'd just toss tradition and cook it on Monday. And now the bonus is that we've got a fridge full of tasty leftovers and plenty of fresh stuff, and a four-day weekend to do with as we please. And I can assure you that I won't be getting up early or standing in line to buy junk we don't need. In fact, I'll do my best to not spend a single penny...

I know, I know. It'll ruin the economy, right?
Adblock


--

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11/21/2007 9:42 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I was all good with the Buy Nothing on November 23. I'm trying to limit purchases anyway. In fact, any gifts we purchase for the upcoming "holiday" will likely be from fundraisers or charities (last year we gave in our family members' names livestock from Heifer International ;).

But then, I received notification of the Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance annual fund raiser book sale on November 23. What a quandry! A fund raiser for a group I want to support on the ONE day of the year when I have vowed not to shop :).

 
At 11/22/2007 3:14 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you no matter what day you decide to chow down! I give thanks for your great blog that keeps me vowing to do better for my family and the environment!

 
At 11/23/2007 12:30 PM, Blogger e4 said...

Wendy - if you don't buy anything, be sure to tell them why! If you do, maybe suggest they move it to Saturday. After all, Friday's actually a work day for a lot of people anyway.

Suzer - Thanks, same to you. And thank you for the kind words. I'm blushing.

 
At 11/23/2007 1:07 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

By celebrating BND we all will be seen as Amerika haters. So be it.

OEFFA is a wonderful organization. I have been a member on and off for the past 17 years or so.

 
At 11/25/2007 10:27 PM, Blogger Beo said...

OEFFA, despite its cumbersome acronym looks wicked cool- and to think you get food with all that activism: that is some spread!

We also bought nothing on Friday, but seeing the beating my 401k (Tgt) is taking of late I had some second thoughts!

Happy Holidays!

 
At 11/25/2007 10:39 PM, Blogger e4 said...

For those in-the-know, OEFFA is just pronounced O-FA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home