Thursday, September 18, 2008

Craziness all around, and my first ever poll...

Right. So we made the brilliant move of starting a big fundraising project on the day after a major hurricane and the day before a major stock market meltdown. Thank you very much to all who contributed, or even considered it. I'm hoping to do some fun stuff both locally and online. More on that below.

We had the odd experience of hurricane force winds in Ohio, as the remnants of Ike joined forces with a big cold front. We apparently had sustained winds of 50+ mph and gusts up to 75 mph. Lots of places around the state have been without power for days, and some places actually have gas shortages because so many gas stations have no power. We were lucky to have only brief outages, and no real damage.

Amelia had a blast sitting out in the wind, giggling like a maniac as her hair streamed out behind her. For some reason, I didn't take any pictures.

I'm really worried that we may have to get rid of the cow. I seem to be developing carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. The cow thing has just been very frustrating in ways that nobody could have foreseen. I'm not giving up yet. Just venting. It doesn't help that the tractor died in her pasture, and she's been mercilessly trying to eat every cable and wire. She pulled the ends off two spark plug wires and pulled out two or three smaller wires (some several times). And every time I try to work on it, she starts eating my clothing, licking me and/or my tools, and just generally being a pest. I tried putting a tarp over the whole thing, but she just dragged it out of the way. So now I have a temporary fence made of cattle panels surrounding the tractor.

My attempts at taking advantage of getting to know my neighbors isn't going very well. The guy who helps me fix my tractor from time to time isn't returning my calls. He works night shift I think. The other guy who was going to cut our hay and bring us some loaner cows and a loaner bull and all sorts of other good stuff has also disappeared from the face of the earth. He did cut our hay once, but it got rained on about a half dozen times before it was baled. And it's pretty stemmy and weedy stuff anyway. Meadow won't touch it at this point.

Other than that, everything is under control.

Okay, not really. But let's just move on anyway.

Back to the service dog thing... I'll probably mostly post about this stuff on the 4paws4amelia blog, but it doesn't have much regular traffic yet, so I'm going to subject you to my fundraising brainstorming session:



Thanks for your input!

--

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9/20/2008 5:55 PM, Blogger e4 said...

Thanks to a suggestion from Burbanomom, I've done some research, and added another poll option.

I think we're going to end up doing more than one of these, but in the meantime, we're going to start with the cookbook option.

 
At 9/21/2008 8:12 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

I love the poll!!!!!!!!

We miss you all sooooo much!

We don't get paid until next week! I hope to contribute then :)

 
At 9/22/2008 9:27 AM, Blogger thenn said...

Dana and I have recruited a very fund raising savvy friend of hers to help us generate some ideas too! I think I can make my small donation into a much larger donation with a little thought and planning . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home