Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Great Shoe Quest

Shoes. It seems I am destined to quickly destroy every pair I ever buy. I haven't been able to make a pair of shoes survive more than a year for a very long time. I've tried cheap brands (Dr. Scholl's), name brands (Reebok, New Balance), pricey brands with decent reputations (Columbia, Timberland), and unusual brands (SWAT). I've gone to Mom & Pop shoe stores, sporting goods stores, big box stores, shoe chains, mail order, and thrift stores. (Actually almost my entire wardrobe is thrift at this point, but shoes are a tough one...)

Here's what I want:
- A comfortable "cross-trainer" type shoe with good arch support
- Something that will put up with some abuse and last a long time

Actually, that's it. That's the whole list.

I am willing to pay a premium for a good shoe, within reason. But when I have in the past, it hasn't panned out.

Today I found a fairly comfortable pair of shoes (Asics) that the proprietor swore was just the thing for me. But besides being butt-ugly, they were a hundred bucks. If I was sure they really were just the thing, I'd consider investing that kind of money in a shoe. But it feels like a gamble, especially when money is tight.

Then I tried another retailer in town (I should say "the other"), and while the lone employee wasn't especially helpful, I thought I found one (Reebok, I think?) that I'd be willing to try since it fit well and was under $40. Only, of course, they didn't have it in my size.

So I gave up and went home.

Got any recommendations?

--

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11/19/2008 12:20 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I hate shoes.

My husband has good luck with Adidas (as do I). He knows that he can order a certain size online and they fit the same every time. And we beat the snot out of our shoes, and they last about 8 months to a year...

 
At 11/19/2008 12:47 PM, Blogger thenn said...

I spring for the Asics (mine are $130). Pricey, but they never give me shin splints, and they haven't let me down yet (I am on my 4th pair in 6 years). Look on line to see if you can get a better deal.

 
At 11/20/2008 8:03 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I say, bite the bullet and get the Asics, since both the shop keeper and thenn recommend them. Make sure there is enough left in the budget for a roll of Duct Tape, just in case!!

 
At 11/20/2008 12:06 PM, Blogger Bill Harshaw said...

Try 6pm.com (it's the Zappos outlet site.)

 
At 11/20/2008 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Andy swears by Asics also - they're all he buys. But I've had bad luck with them - I've tried a couple of pairs and just can't seem to get them fitted correctly in the heel.

 
At 11/22/2008 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a waitress, and the only shoes I'll wear for work are New Balance. I've never tried Asics, so I can't comment on them, but New Balance wear well, and keep my feet from hurting.

 
At 11/25/2008 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post..! Well, I too got a pair of Asics shoes from Zappos. Those are really very comfy and flexible.

 
At 11/29/2008 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Reeboks fall apart on my hubby and I both. We've had good luck with New Balance though. After a year and a couple of washed the rubber sole gets hard and slippery though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home