Wednesday, January 27, 2010

They're taunting me

The cruelest one arrived in the mail today: The Raintree Nursery catalog. The seed catalogs aren't so bad for me right now. I have so many seeds that I'm not even on the lookout for anything new in the garden. I've got more than I can handle already, and quite a few I haven't even tried yet.

But Raintree, ohhh.... Fruits, nuts, berries, and their woody, perennial brethren are like kryptonite to me. I would give up the veggie garden entirely if I could have all the trees, shrubs, vines, and brambles my heart desires. Apples, peaches, cherries, plums, pears, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, serviceberries, paw paws, quinces, persimmons, kiwifruit, gooseberries, currants, lingonberries, sea buckthorn, aronia, goumi... ahhh... and then there's hazelnuts, chestnuts, butternuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts, and beechnuts. Throw in some clumping bamboo, and I'm done for.

The problem of course, is the thought of leaving them behind. I'm already trying to figure out what I might be able to cart out of here to some temporary home before a seller comes along.

I haven't decided if I'll order anything or not. Probably not. But it's going to be hard... harder than I realized...

--

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home