Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Container gardening

I've never really done much container gardening. I guess when you have almost 9 acres, it seems weird to be constrained by containers. It always seems a little forced or artificial to me, and I didn't want to bother with it if I didn't have to.

I'll still put some of the bigger crops in the ground - potatoes, corn, tomatoes - and I'll probably skip a few things this year. But after last year's roaring success with carrots in containers, I am getting in deeper. In addition to the carrots, I've added onions, parsnips, spinach, swiss chard, various lettuces, radishes, and dill. I plan to add a bunch of herbs once we get a little farther into the season.

And the beauty of it? I can take my garden with me if we do ever sell this house.

--

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4/06/2010 2:39 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I don't think it's weird to use container gardening even if one does have nine acres. I think I would still use raised beds and container gardening, even if I had some acreage, because I would want trees - lots of them. If I had any land, a significant portion of it would be wood lot and orchard. Besides, from my (admittedly limited) experience, many plants do very well in containers :).

The portability factor is definitely a bonus, though.

 
At 4/06/2010 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm starting an herb garden (basil, parsley, mint) on my condo deck, and am thinking about some of the 'hanging bagged' tomatoes.... funny. all those years with a perfectly nice half acre that could have held a nice garden. i don't get the bug til i'm in a box!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home