Friday, March 24, 2006

Fermented Satan

We have a vermiculture habitat in our kitchen.

Okay, so it's a worm bin. We put our kitchen scraps in a little tiny trash can, and periodically, I put the scraps into the worm bin along with some shredded paper. The worms (and with a host of other micro-organisms) break down the scraps and turn them into worm castings (and more worms). Worm castings are fabulous for the garden, and it seems a better use of our kitchen waste than just dumping them in the trash.

Of course, sometimes I wait a little too long before I get the scraps into the worm bin. They start to compost in the little trash can. Not that this is a big deal, it just smells a little. Unlike a properly turned compost pile, the contents of the mini trash can are decomposing anaerobically. Translation: It smells bad. I go ahead and give it to the worms anyway. They're perfectly happy with slightly rotting vegetable matter, and after a day or less, they even magically take care of the smell. (The smell is pretty localized anyway.)

A few days ago, I realized the little trash can was getting full, so I made some room in the worm bin for the contents, shredded some paper, and added everything to the bin.

Whoa, what a smell. I guess it had been a while.

"It smells like Satan," I told my wife. "Fermented Satan." For some reason, she left the room at that point. I'm not really sure why.

The next day, I took the lid off the worm bin to check on them, and there must have been at least a couple hundred worms writhing at the top of the bin. They're normally pretty reclusive.

"I guess they don't like fermented Satan," said Lori.

Huh. I guess not.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3/24/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

Yum fermented Satan

 
At 3/24/2006 10:40 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

I always thought Satan would smell like burnt toast...

 
At 3/25/2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

Yum going to get me some! Satan on a stick please

 
At 8/13/2010 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be better to keep it OUTSIDE? We have compost bins (Two. Huge.) And the worms do love it, but in the house?! And your wife didn't freak about that? Yowza.

-a

 

Post a Comment

<< Home