Friday, November 03, 2006

Another peek inside the toddler mind

Our son is mildly entertained by a new show that has turned up on our TV. It's called The Upside Down Show. I'll admit that it's rather cute. It's a pretty silly show featuring two brothers, a pet fly, and a woman in a red suit who keeps appearing in the background for no apparent reason. It relies a lot on imagination - invisible elephants, pretend staircases, and so on.

One of the big gimmicks of the show is that the viewer has an imaginary remote. This remote has buttons for all sorts of things - the pause button, the rewind button, the humongous button, the upside-down button, the Irish dancing button... you get the idea.

So e5 comes in while I'm working the other day, and makes me freeze by pushing the pause button on his imaginary remote. And then scolds me for moving my arm (I had an itch) and again for moving my eyes. Before long I've pushed the upside-down button and strung him up by his ankles, and then the tickle button. He comes back with the keep-tickling button, the don't work button, and a few more buttons which I've since forgotten. But my favorite was when he told me he had pressed the "stop pushing buttons" button.

I guess he was done playing...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11/05/2006 7:04 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

You know thats an ASSIE show! Moya loves that show. They aren't real brothers but a their adult show is fantastic.

 
At 11/06/2006 11:20 AM, Blogger barefoot gardener said...

Love the story....It warms the heart to hear about a dad playing WITH his kids, rather than not. Kudos to you for still having an imagination capable of pushing those buttons!

 
At 11/06/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger e4 said...

morgan - I knew it was Aussie, but I didn't know it was Assie too! ;) They have an adult show?

bg - Thanks. Yeah, it's one of the great things about working from home. I can take my coffee breaks with my kids instead of with a styrofoam cup...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home