Monday, November 06, 2006

The way to a man's heart...

I've had some incredible food in the past year. Due to a combination of factors - better sources, more things made from scratch, fresher ingredients, and most importantly, a spouse who is very good in the kitchen - we've had a very good culinary year. I'm not talking about anything fancy like tuscan grilled foie gras with baby endive a la mode. I'm talking about basic, everyday food items. Here's my list of "the best ever" items I've experienced, right here in this house:

- Milk
- Eggs
- Bacon
- Bread
- Popcorn
- Pancakes
- Meatballs
- Lentil soup
- Roasted chicken
- Brussels sprouts
- Mashed potatoes
- Chocolate chip cookies
- I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

Why am I telling you this? Well, I was already working on this write-up, just based on the fact that it makes me happy. But I decided to rush it to press because, my poor wife spent pretty much the entire afternoon in the kitchen, diligently working on four loaves of the most wonderful sandwich bread... only to have them stick to the baking pans and tear apart when extracted.

For dinner tonight, I had numerous big hunks of fresh warm bread, soaked with butter from the farm market, a glass of wine, and an apple. Mmmmmmmmm.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Well, if you were my husband making such good use of my kitchen malfunctions, you'd definitely be getting several extra gold stars!

Actually, I won't eat most of Chive's cooking. Usually it's "poisonous" anyway, but inevitably it's too weird for me. I'm extremely conservative about food, I guess.

 
At 11/07/2006 9:52 AM, Blogger Beo said...

Bread, cheese, and a tart apple is still on of my favorite meals.

Your list is very similar to ours-I am hoping to make mashed Sunchokes tonight!

 
At 11/08/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger e4 said...

Madcap - It must be tough if you all have different tastes and restrictions. Lori and I have remarkably similar likes and dislikes.

Beo - How'd the sunchokes turn out? Hopefully I can get some in the ground somewhere next spring (along with tons of other stuff...)

 
At 11/08/2006 8:56 PM, Blogger gtr said...

Ah, the simple pleasures! That's our approach to food around here, too. Who has time for all the fancy stuff, anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home