Thursday, December 14, 2006

Freeduce, freeuse...

I'm a newcomer to the world of Freecycle. I was told that you could list a bag of used kleenex on Freecycle, and somebody would come take it from you. That may be true, but sometimes I'm surprised. Somebody came to take away random parts from a propane fireplace, but nobody wanted a free surround sound receiver. It didn't have Dolby 5.1 after all.

I love the concept. It's generally a win-win scenario, where I get rid of something I no longer need or want, and you get something you could really use, or vice-versa, all for free. It's helped me clean out the basement a bit, get rid of some odds and ends that we had no use for, and it's gained me a very small pile of cinder blocks for future use.

I think the chances of a great find on Freecycle depend on where you live, and what you consider a great find. Our local group has a lot of kid's clothes, old furniture, and VHS videotapes changing hands. Most moderators discourage stories attached to listings, but ours doesn't. We get a lot of grandbabies that need carseats because their daddy left, or appliance requests because they can't afford a washing machine since they got divorced, or a story about how they are in "desperate" need of a curio cabinet because their husband doesn't want knick knacks in his gun cabinet any more. Sometimes amusing, sometimes sad, sometimes hard to believe.

Occasionally I see listings from people who, apparently, have never heard the phrase, "beggars can't be choosers." Recently, somebody locally was "looking for a navy blue felt/velvet tree skirt with a satin ruffle around the edge. I would like it to have silver snowflakes." If only I'd known!

In any case, I think Wendy has just earned a blackbelt in Freecycling.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12/16/2006 2:51 PM, Blogger Mia said...

I'll be honest, I've kind of shied away from Freecycle, though I think it's a great concept. I can not believe the stuff people come pick up from me, which is awesome, but to be frank it kind of freaks me out to give these people my address and have them come to my house. Some are really nice people, but truly, some are a bit on the creepy side. It's true that people freecycle anything and everything. The other side is those beggars-can't-be-choosers. I get pretty miffed by the: "I'd like a car but it has to be in really good working condition and I'd like it to be newer than 1997." etc. I have seen so many thing offered and spoken for that I can only imagine the homes around here that must have mega-crafters in them, surrounded by mosaics made of mis-spelled fast food drink cups displayed on rusty store shelving. For those who aren't as snotty as me, it's a wonderful thing!

 
At 12/16/2006 10:42 PM, Blogger e4 said...

I love your mosaic imagery. :)

And that's a good point about giving people your address. I guess you could arrange to meet them in some public place or something.

A freecycled car?! Wow, that's coming in a little high...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home