Monday, March 31, 2008

After further review...

...it wasn't food poisoning. I have to retract my slandering of that Most Regal of Milkmaids.

It was a bona fide stomach virus. Yuck. So e5 and Amelia got in on the fun too. E5 climbed into our bed in the middle of the night a few days ago, and then barfed in Mommy's hair. Like she doesn't wake up enough already for nursing.

Amelia didn't wake us up, but I was quite shocked when I opened her bedroom door the next morning to find bright scarlet splatters all over her bed, like a scene from some low-budget zombie flick. Mmmm, tropical punch Kool-Aid puke.

So that was a fun day. And e5 has been having major meltdowns every other day. He loves having a new baby brother, but he hates not getting as much attention, which manifests itself in the form of huge tantrums over everything from getting dressed to playing with Legos.

Oh, and now it seems Amelia has an ear infection.

Yippie!

But through the magic of, well... magic? luck? good living? ... neither mom nor baby got the bug. And the little guy's nearly constant nursing is paying off with better than a pound a week of baby flesh. I did some quick calculations, and at his current growth rate, he should be about 80 lbs by his first birthday. And I'm afraid Lori will have withered away to nothing.

As for that Tech Break thing I was participating in? I was a bit distracted for some reason, so I kind of forgot. I'm sure I had a couple of no-tech days in there, but they were neither planned nor fully appreciated.

I might try to continue that tradition though. I liked it when I was conscious of it.

--

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 3/31/2008 11:14 PM, Blogger craftydabbler said...

Sorry about the sickness. There is a stomach bug going around the Northwest, too. I laughed when I read about your calculation of your baby's weight gain.

 
At 4/01/2008 3:46 AM, Blogger valereee said...

One of the more bizarre stories I tell of my children's early lives: no vomiting sicknesses. My kids literally never once had a vomiting illness before they were of an age to realize what was about to happen early enough that they got themselves to the bathroom in time.

 
At 4/01/2008 2:40 PM, Blogger barefoot gardener said...

Oh, no! Nothing is worse than sick kids.

I have to say that I hate valereee at this point, because it is NOT FAIR that any parent should escape the fun of having their children urp all over everything. Better yet, the joy of training yourself to wake up at that first gagging sound so that you can pick up your kid and hang them face down over the trash can you have ready and waiting.

I mean, really.

Poor e5. I remember when my brother was born I thought my life had ended, so I feel for him. Don't worry, he will learn to love his little bro unconditionally right around the time he moves out.....:)

 
At 4/01/2008 2:44 PM, Blogger valereee said...

LOL!

I was afraid to tell any other moms my kids had never had such an illness until both (now 13 and 17) =were= definitely old enough to reliably manage their own nausea, because I thought I'd jinx myself!

 
At 4/01/2008 9:09 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

So sorry...we had the puking flu this weekend too. I got thrown up on 3 times on Sunday, that's a new record for us! Hope you all are feeling better soon :)

 
At 4/03/2008 11:25 AM, Blogger maggie said...

Playing catch up on all my blog reading. I had a sort of tech break- that is, anything technical that could be construed as enjoyable...

sorry about the illness. We've yet to catch anything too nasty this year (knocking hard on wood), but my daughter can spew with the best of them. :)

congratulations on the little one!!!

 
At 4/03/2008 7:10 PM, Blogger JBTW said...

I don't know if it would be viewed as better or worse... but Amelia could have puked on Lori's head instead & gave her a lovely new shade of hair. :)
(I personally like the red look... Just don't think I'd want that particular method of application.)
Hope the puking has ceased.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home