Monday, March 17, 2008

How styrofoam is made

...according to my almost-5-year-old son.

He asked me if I knew how styrofoam was made, and I said I wasn't sure exactly how.

So he told me:

You take some water and -- well, it's not water, but it looks like water -- and you put it in some pipes. Then you get some dust from the clouds - cloud dust - that you catch in a net that doesn't have any holes in it. You put the cloud dust in and put the lid on quick so it doesn't get out. Then you take some rocks and crush them up into little tiny pieces and you add those to the other ingredients. Then you get some snow and pack it on top of everything. Then it goes through a machine and there's a lot of things that happen. And then you get stryofoam.

I always wondered about that.

--

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3/18/2008 5:44 AM, Blogger willow said...

I think that is a brilliant explanation! The best ingredient has to be cloud dust, caught in a net without holes - wonderful.

 
At 3/18/2008 6:39 AM, Blogger JBTW said...

If you could see my face, you'd see I am smiling. :)
Very cute. (The kids I'm around don't explain things in that creative manner anymore.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home