Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Instant Homestead Sale!

Dory: He says, "It's time to let go!". Everything's going to be all right.
Marlin: How do you know? How do you know something bad isn't gonna happen?!
Dory: I don't!

- Finding Nemo
As many of you guessed from my last post, we've more or less made up our minds. Oh in theory there could still be some dramatic last minute change of heart (or circumstance), but mostly we're just waiting for the Gears of Bureaucracy to turn. We're pretty close to the point of no return on this decision though.

But as a result of these impending events, our Instant Homestead has been significantly discounted from our original price. We're down about $20,000 from our starting point.

We did have four showings last week, including three in two days. That's more showings than we had from November through June. So we feel a bit better. We may end up dropping our price some more though if something doesn't happen soon.

Unfortunately, we'll most likely take a loss on this place. We put our money into things that just don't add to resale value - like really good fences.

But what can you do? We could stay put, and have my job disappear in six months. Or stay put and have my job move to Texas, which is almost as bad. (No offense to my Texas friends.) In my line of work, there are only so many employers to choose from in any given metro area, and none of the ones around here are hiring.

There is no obvious best choice here, and either direction could turn out to be a bad move. So you go with what feels right. A friend of mine advised that in situations like these, you should make up your mind decisively, and then do a Happy Dance. If it doesn't feel right, switch your decision and try again.

So here we go. We've come up with Plans A through at least G or H by now. We've got contingencies upon contingencies. We'll navigate it as best we can.

And as soon as everything is official I'll have some stories to tell. This blog will pick up again, perhaps somewhat sporadically at first as we do all the million things we need to do. But I can feel the writing piling up inside. It's just not quite time yet...

--

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 7/19/2010 6:57 AM, OpenID daisyfae said...

i've become a firm believer in 'trust your gut'. it works. unless you're an idiot. which you are not...

fingers crossed that the planets align for smooth transition!

 
At 7/20/2010 1:45 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Like daisyfae, just trust your instincts. They're always right. Good luck!

 
At 7/22/2010 10:17 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Our family recently did a similar thing. We lived in WI for 20+ years. Struggled with self-employment for a couple of years, found a great gov. job in CO, uprooted, moved. 16 months later we are finally selling the house in WI. Not a bit of interest until now, which has been nerve wracking!
For the last 6 months I've been beating myself up, wondering if we did the right thing moving our family away from everything they ever knew: our hobby farm, our chickens, our house, our extended family, our church, etc.
Other than our housing situation here, we love where we are. I dread to think what our situation would have ended up like had we stayed in WI. I suspect we may have lost the house, but that's another story...
I look forward to your future posts about the move. It's all going to workout, just wait & see!

 
At 8/14/2010 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kind of had a feeling this was where the story was headed. Best wishes on a quick sale.

-aNNa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home