Sunday, June 18, 2006

Time flew...

My week off is just about over. Tomorrow it's back to bits and bytes and other such nonsense. Sigh.

It was a good week, for the most part. Oh sure, my daughter was up (for good) at 2:00 in the morning three nights in a row. I wish I could get by on so little sleep. She also learned how to turn childproof doorknob covers. E5 had quite a creative variety of tantrums. And we now have two broken down pickup trucks. I can't even tell that story at this point.

I did put a new radiator on the tractor. It was a simple operation, but for me, quite a milestone. I cut a lot of grass. There's still some to be done, but it's better than it was. I fixed our busted mailbox. I got my grapevines planted and my serviceberries moved. I got my sunflowers planted, though they may be too late. I weeded most of the front flower bed. It still looks pathetic, and it should't really be called a flower bed, since there are no flowers at this point. But still.

I didn't get any of the big stuff done, but I had a lot of fun. An old college friend came over with his wife and toddler. My dad, step-mom, and grandmother came down to visit the kids. My inlaws babysat for a few hours.

Amelia started her new special needs classes. Coincidentally, she also started touching our chins when she wants food or drink. This is a sign that we've worked on for ages. It's okay with me that she touches our chins instead of her own, because it's the first really abstract communication she's learned. And E5 pooped somewhere other than in his pants for the first time. (Luckily, it was in the toilet.)

The kids and I blew up an inflatable pool and filled it up in the back yard. We saw a really cool waterfall. We bought some gluten-free snacks to try with Amelia (thanks again Madcap!) which, of course, she will not eat. Well, except for the pretzels. Those are apparently okay. We bought a bunch of fresh fruit and gorged ourselves on it's fruity goodness. We cooked out on the grill. Betsy Red finished up her medication, so we've been able to drink goat milk again. (I really do like it better. Maybe someday I'll try a blind taste test, just to see if it's not my imagination.)

We saw a new batch of cute little baby killdeer chicks in the driveway. (Same spot as before.) We saw an odd sunset with a dull gray sky but a bright red sunset. We had beautiful weather all week. It got a little hot here at the end, but not unbearable.

My sore muscles, tired body, and farmer's tan tell me I'm forgetting some things. But you get the idea.

And not once did I miss sitting at a desk all day...

3 Comments:

At 6/18/2006 11:48 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

I'll bet you didn't miss that desk!

The GF pretzels are, naturally, on the Litany of Dislike around here. Pretty soon Poppy's going to be down to veggies, apples, mozzarella and chicken (and cookies and ice cream if I wasn't an ogre). I suppose there are far worse diets. My friend up north taught violin to a girl who ate nothing but cheese sandwiches until she was 11.

 
At 6/20/2006 5:38 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

way to E4. looks life on the farm is good. Miss you much

 
At 6/20/2006 9:52 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

Sounds like a good week. Chock full of goodness! My father has celiac disease (Can't have gluten) so if your looking for edible test tested foods just let me know! My dad's a tough critic so his and Amelia's standards are probably about the same. Yeah E5 for using the potty!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home