Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Simple solar food dehydrator

I built a very simple solar food dehydrator, based more or less on this article. Without diagrams or pictures, I'm not entirely sure I got it right, but it did a fabulous job drying some sage and rosemary before we went on vacation. Now I'm trying it on something a little more challenging: Tomatoes. I got some grape tomatoes and some of the smaller roma tomatoes. I cut them a couple different ways to see what works best.

Tomatoes to be dried:

Tomatoes cut -
some lengthwise,
some crosswise
(for comparison)

Corrugated roofing,
leftover from goat
shelters, propped
up at an angle

Screen from our
old propane fireplace

Black cloth draped over screen
(cut to 2x the size of the screen)

Sliced tomatoes
placed on black cloth
(set on level ground
so they don't roll off)

Black cloth folded in half
over the sliced tomatoes

Glass front from old
propane stove placed
on top of the black cloth

The whole stack
propped at an angle

It was a bit overcast today, and it may be tomorrow too, so it might not be the best time to test it, but I'm willing to experiment on a small batch.

The best part is that the whole thing was made from stuff I had lying around. It didn't cost me a dime.

I'll post an update in a day or two once we see how it goes.




Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/10/2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Beo said...

That looks so crazy it has to work!

Interested to see how this turns out!

 
At 10/12/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger peppylady said...

Hi I've been out blogg hoping and came across your blogg and did my thirteen thursday on blogg hoping.

I've dried tommoto skins before. Stop by and have a great day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home