Friday, July 20, 2007

On the plus side...

I've been face-to-face with some frustrating, sad, depressing, and otherwise negative things this week, including one last goodbye to my Uncle Steve. When I was about four, I told him I wanted to measure his nose. He told me to go get a ruler. I replied, much to everyone's dismay, that I'd need a yardstick. He was a genuinely good person. So long, Steve...

Meanwhile, let's pack this blog entry full of positive things:

- Our electricity usage for June was 43% less than June of last year. Total for the year, we're down 35%. (Or if you prefer, almost 4000 lbs less CO2 emissions.) I'd love to keep dropping it, but it starts getting harder now.

- We've had more rain and cooler temperatures in July than we did in June. That'll be nice for our electric bill, but it's also nice for our grocery bill, since the garden is finally looking like it should.

- I got to spend an afternoon with one of my favorite authors, Gene Logsdon (The Contrary Farmer) a few weekends ago. I plan on writing about it at some point, but oddly enough, I'm having a bit of writer's block with it.

- I got at least 100 mason jars at a garage sale today - maybe closer to 150 - for the low, low price of $15. Woohoo! The milk alone was using up our previous supply of jars.

- I picked up a big fat jar of honey from a local (fifth-generation!) beekeeper today. We chatted for a bit. I told him we'd thought about getting into bees some day, and he said he was thinking about getting out of bees sometime soon. He said to call him this winter. Hmmm.....

- Willow over at Contemplating Change has nominated me as a "Blogger for Positive Global Change." And Pea at Mustard Seed Journal tagged me with a "Thinking Blogger" award. Thanks, Willow and Pea! I haven't been this popular since, well, ever. Not bad for a guy who didn't know hay from straw or Pike's Peak from Hubbert's Peak just a couple years ago.

I always struggle with these award memes. I love to share the love, but eventually they run into the same problem as chain letters and pyramid schemes. The recipients all start overlapping. I'm finding that the names on my list end up looking very much like the names on everybody else's lists.

But I do appreciate the compliments. I previously did a Thinking Blogger response here.

As for Positive Global Change, let's see... Emme and Sharon seem to be on a hundred lists already. I'm resisting the urge to bounce either of these awards back to my benefactors, willow and pea. I'm also resisting the urge to repeat anybody from my Thinking Blogger list. No sense making this easy or anything!

Even with all my self-imposed restrictions, some of these are repeat offenders, I'm sure...

- Bryan at My Fair Share. I like the way Bryan thinks, and the way he writes.

- Wendy at Home is... Wendy has gone all out on the local food thing, and has a great mix of mindfulness, thoughtfulness, humor, and experimentation.

- Liz at Pocket Farm. She's the originator of One Local Summer. Plus she's got all those great mini-farm stories

- Crunchy Chicken. She's the hardest working blogger in town, with a book club, the Diva Cup challenge, a local food month, lining up celebrity interviews, learning to sew, and provoking thought.

- Barefoot Gardener. She's taking lots of little steps, honestly sharing her successes and failures, overcoming insecurities and gaining confidence, and implementing more positive changes than most people I know... in between caring for a baby.

I really believe that the best way to achieve Positive Global Change is through many Positive Local Changes. Don't wait for somebody else. Go do something positive!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7/21/2007 8:42 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Congratulations on reducing your electricity! And sorry about your uncle.

You spent an afternoon with Logsdon?! No writer's block allowed, I want to hear about that.

 
At 7/24/2007 8:57 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

In the immortal words of Eeyore, "thanks for thinking of me ;)". You can't imagine what an honor it is for me to be nominated for this award, and to be thought of as a "Blogger for Positive Global Change." But in fairness, I really do need to point the finger right back at you, and say that it was because of you and other bloggers like you that I started running (not walking) down this path of change.

Thank you for the nomination, thank you for the very positive things you say about my blog, and thank you for providing me the impetus to get me moving in a positive direction.

 
At 7/24/2007 9:54 AM, Blogger e4 said...

Thanks Madcap. I will have to post my Logsdon notes sometime soon. It's just so disjointed because it turned into a couple of guys rambling on for three hours about whatever came to mind. It flowed naturally in the conversation, but not really in writing.

Thanks Wendy. To me, that's the coolest thing about blogging. I never anticipated that it would be so motivating, or that I would get so many ideas and inspirations from everybody else out there. People I've never even met! But it's hard to find like-minded people in my neck of the woods. It's odd to think how much life can change because of typing...

 
At 7/24/2007 7:41 PM, Blogger barefoot gardener said...

Thanks for the nomination, e4, but like Wendy I have to say that without your inspiration (and that of others like you) I would be nowhere near as far along on this path as I am.

 
At 7/25/2007 8:15 PM, Blogger Liz said...

You like me, you really like me! ;)

Thanks so much e4. My mini-farm stories seem to have dried up since everyone in town is reading along now. sigh. Hope to get back to "normal" one of these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home