Wednesday, July 11, 2007

One Local Summer - Week of 7/8/2007


Roast Chicken with Rosemary - Our own chicken, butchered on Sunday (0 mi.), roasted with butter (local-ish, 168 mi.... maybe?) and fresh rosemary from our herb garden (0 mi.), with salt and pepper (not local)

Roasted Beets - Beets from a Ross Co. farmer (20-30 mi.), roasted in their skins, then peeled, sliced and tossed with our localish butter and salt

Blanched Green Beans - Green and purple pod beans from our garden (0 mi.), blanched in salted water. These beans start out looking like this:


The purple color (somewhat disappointingly) fades with cooking. They end up a shade darker than the other beans but definitely green.
This was a very simple dinner, but satisfying. The chicken was really good, although I couldn't bring myself to eat the skin. (I spent a lot of time trying to pluck all the @#$%! pinfeathers out - so much that most of the following day and night I was haunted by thoughts of pinfeathers. I still didn't get them all, either. I'm forecasting a lot of skinless chickens in our future.) One interesting note which I forgot to document with a photo: The dark meat was very dark indeed.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7/11/2007 6:22 PM, Blogger e4 said...

My wife rules.

I actually preferred the white meat to the dark meat this time - a reverse of my usual tastes. The dark meat wasn't bad, but it was a bit tougher.

The beets and beans were both very good too.

 
At 7/11/2007 7:49 PM, Blogger maggie said...

look what exercise does to those leg muscles! :) We ended up skinning our ducks this year. We missed the perfect time to pluck them.

 
At 7/11/2007 10:10 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Looks really yummy. Way to go!

 
At 7/13/2007 12:09 PM, Blogger Pea said...

Yum! Looks good to me. I would say that yes, your wife rules. We love beets in our house, too. My daughter loves to add the butter herself. I never thought of eating them with butter until she tried it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home