Friday, July 20, 2007

Woohoo!!! ....... D'oh!

I see on the news that core inflation is low, and projected to get lower. The stock market is sky high. Unemployment is low.

So why are we still broke?

Well, let's see... Core inflation is the measure of rising prices, but it now excludes frivolities like, oh, food, housing, and energy costs. Great, so at least flat screen TV's and convertibles aren't going up.

Meanwhile, corn prices have doubled due to the ethanol boondoggle. Wheat, soy, and other field crops have gone up because everybody's planting corn instead. Milk, eggs, and meat prices have gone up because of the aforementioned feed increases. Gas is high and will soon be higher because, well, we'll save that for another post.

Put it all together, and suddenly paydays seem farther apart.

Until today. You see, I got paid today. After logging into our bank's web site to check on some transactions, Lori noticed a surprisingly high balance. There was an extra deposit in there, listed as "other", with no details available yet.

So I called the bank to find out what gives. A deposit roughly equivalent to a second paycheck isn't something that normally appears unexpectedly. Well, maybe for you, but not for me.

As it turns out, it was a second paycheck. My direct deposit was deposited twice! Party time, and you're all invited!

Okay, not really. If I did get an extra paycheck, we've got a long list of projects we'd put it toward. Sadly though, the bank says we can't spend it. I tried the "finders keepers" defense, but apparently their name for it would be "theft".

Well, maybe next time.

What?

I can dream, can't I? It worked for this guy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7/20/2007 3:18 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I like that ... "finders keepers." Very funny!

I think the Arthur show on PBS did an episode where they explored the fallacy of that argument, though ;).

We noticed a unexplained deposit recently, too. It was the exact same amount as our cable bill. Hmm??

Gremlins afoot??

 
At 7/21/2007 12:13 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

Awww, I share in your disappointment. It's like finding a money in your winter coat pocket after the summer ends and having someone else say, "Oh so that's where I left that twenty."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home