Sunday, April 16, 2006

Frogs Frogs Frogs (and a Toad).

We have two man-made ponds on our property. The larger of two is probably 3/4 of an acre in surface area. The second one is probably 1/4 of an acre. Pseudacris crucifer (spring peeper)They are joined by an overflow pipe, so that if the big one gets full, the little one starts to fill up. But as a rule, the smaller one is more of a large hole with a marsh in the bottom than anything you might call a pond. They are both a bit overrun with cattails, some kind of willow, some small beech trees, and various other brushy growth.

As far as I can tell, even the big pond doesn't have any significant fish. I'd like to stock it some day, but the "how" has escaped me so far. I know it's not hard to acquire fish to stock a pond, but I just haven't tracked down the details.

At any rate, the lack of fish means that tadpoles are free to roam the shallow waters at will. And apparently the two ponds are an attractive frog habitat. Last summer, while the house was still being built, we wandered down to the edge of the pond to see how it looked. Rana catesbieana (bull frog)It looked like an ocean wave, rolling in reverse, away from the shore, as the frogs splashed back into safer depths.

So far this spring, I've heard three different frog calls. Maybe four. There's one that may be a frog, or may be something else. The first one I haven't been able to identify yet. It's a fast staccato vibration, like a door slowly creaking open. Sometimes even a bit like a woodpecker. Bufo americanus (American toad) I've also heard what I now know is a spring peeper. These are the ones who usually yell at me if I walk anywhere near the edge of the pond. The peepers fill the night (and much of the day) with a sound somewhere between a cricket and a bird chirping. Just in the last couple days, I've started hearing bullfrogs. Sometimes they sound like somebody playing the cello. The other sound I hear often at night (besides the peepers) is a high trill noise that lasts 5-10 seconds.

After writing this, I became more curious, so I went to Google to see what I could find. (This kind of scenario plays itself out several times a day. Rana palustris (pickerel frog) I think I have a Google addiction.) I was right about the peepers and the bullfrogs. I think the trill is the American toad. I think the creaking door is a pickerel frog. Either that, or it's those aliens from the movie Signs...

Someday maybe I'll get a microphone and record some of it and post it on here. They've got quite a symphony going out there. It's refreshing to hear when you crack the windows before going to bed. At least right now. We'll see how I feel by the end of summer.

6 Comments:

At 4/16/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

I love peepers. We have them in the trees surrounding our property and they are one of the first signs of spring. It's always nice to hear them singing at night with the windows open while you drift off to sleep.

 
At 4/16/2006 8:36 PM, Blogger JBTW said...

My dad gets bullfrogs in his small pond in the yard -- they get quite noisy. (But maybe the noise sticks out more in the city.) Hope they don't keep you up at night!

 
At 4/16/2006 11:50 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Oh, I'm so happy to hear someone else talk about Spring Peepers. We get them in the marsh across the interstate, and they're so lovely and somehow whimsical. Today Beo was trying to tell me a different scientific name for them, but I insisted on the Spring Peeper label! I think it's awesome that you have such an indepth ecosystem of your own to explore.

 
At 4/17/2006 1:18 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

Your writing is so smooth and easy to read.

Enjoy your peepers

 
At 4/17/2006 1:56 AM, Blogger roybe said...

great blog, it's interesting to see another country's frogs. we have a naturalist who has put out a cd of frog calls with identification. I just order it from my local library. Maybe you have something similiar.

 
At 4/17/2006 9:18 PM, Blogger e4 said...

Wow, I thought the frog theme was just for my own amusement, but I guess I'm not alone in my interest...

I found audio of all of the frog calls on various web sites to confirm my suspicions.

The peepers remind me very much of a frog I heard on a trip to Puerto Rico. They have a frog called a "coqui" - because that's what is sounds like. They are very small, but VERY loud. I guess they've become a bit invasive in Hawaii, with no natural predators. But in Puerto Rico, their homeland, they are pretty cool to hear. I wonder if they are relatives of the peepers.

I found a description of the pickerel call that hit it on the head. It sounds like someone dragging their fingernail across the teeth of a comb.

The frogs and toads get pretty loud at night (and in the day in the case of the bullfrogs), but I like it.

Still trying to track down a mic to do a recording...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home