Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I hope I'm not boring y'all with the gardening talk, but I've waited so long for spring to finally get here, I just can't help myself.

My current philosophy for plants is that they need to multitask. Good looks ain't enough. You gotta bring something more to the table. In Show Biz, they talk about a triple threat; In baseball, they talk about a five-tools guy; even cooking geek Alton Brown preaches against uni-taskers. Who doesn't love a beautiful rose or a flowering cherry or crabapple? But why not plant the tree that will give you both the flowers and the fruit? Why not plant the rose that will give you edible and/or medicinal rose hips? If you don't fancy eating rose hips (I'll admit I never have), maybe they'll attract some new and interesting wildlife.

So what are some of the possibilities? For me, producing something edible is huge. Attracting wildlife is a nice benefit, especially if that wildlife will benefit you as well, by say, keeping the insect population down. Producing something useful is a plus too, like bamboo, or even quality lumber if you expand your horizons a bit. Trees are good for more than just lumber though. Their roots penetrate deep into the soil, which can draw nutrients and trace minerals up to the surface. When the leaves fall in autumn, they provide some of those nutrients, and lots of organic matter, to help improve your soil (well, unless you bag 'em up and ship 'em off to a landfill). Well placed trees can keep you cool in summer and let the sun shine in during winter. They can slow down the cold winter winds. They take gobs of carbon dioxide out of the air, and put out gobs of oxygen back in. They cut down on erosion. They can even cut down on pollution. Some, like willows, can take up enough water from the soil to lower the water table if you have excess moisture. Others, like locusts and redbuds (a personal favorite) can take nitrogen out of the air and add it to your soil, to share with other nearby plants. But that trick isn't limited to trees. In fact, most people know of this effect from growing legumes in the garden, like beans and peas. Even big corporate farmers have figured out that if you rotate corn and soybeans, you won't have to dump quite as much chemical fertilizer on the ground.

You can even set up symbiotic relationships, or "communities" of mutually beneficial plants. The classic example is the "Three Sisters." Native Americans used to plant corn, beans, and squash together. Tall growing corn provides a trellis for the beans to climb, while the beans add nitrogen to the soil, and the squash give some much-needed shade at ground level, keeping everybody's roots cool and cutting down on moisture evaporation. And all three produce food. For more examples like this, just look up permaculture. They have some pretty cool tricks.

Given the right circumstances, even something as mundane as grass can be turned into meat, dairy products, and wool, via grazing animals. Heck, you can even take it a step further and get some pulling power or transportation out of them if you pick the right grazers.

In case you're wondering, I grew up in suburbia, playing computer games, mowing lawns, working fast food jobs, and trying to blend in. Now I find that I've morphed into some kind of nerdy redneck hippie who writes too much...

It's much more fun this way though.

7 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 5:19 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

I still love you Edson.

I am glad to hear of you enjoying your gardening so much.

I hope this (your acres) bring you many years of joy.

 
At 4/12/2006 6:43 PM, Blogger JBTW said...

Color me impressed. Your intentions for the garden are definately more grandiose than mine. But I appreciate the dual purpose of the plant. I have gathered some info. on companion plants that you may find useful. I'll send it off to you. :) Happy gardening!

 
At 4/13/2006 4:43 AM, Blogger Beo said...

Better a wordy dork with a green thumb than business as usual... just look where the Average Joe's that Fit In have taken our country!

Thanks (for my children and yours)for being different, E4.

Are you guilding any of the veritible orchard you are putting in?

 
At 4/13/2006 10:29 AM, Blogger e4 said...

Nope, not yet. I hope to tackle that idea at some point though. Too many things to try, not enough time...

 
At 4/13/2006 8:12 PM, Blogger Beo said...

I am making my first stab at guilding this year. I have 25 Green Giant thuja cedar's coming in 2 weeks that I want to use to anchor a guild-I will post as it gets closer.

Thanks for the redbud tip-its new to me and I am always interested in zone 4 n-fixers!

 
At 4/13/2006 10:31 PM, Blogger e4 said...

jbtw - Yes, I have big intentions. I did the aesthetic gardening at my last place, and have been gradually drifting in this direction over the past couple years. I tried "square foot gardening" at our last home in the burbs, and I planted a dwarf peach and two dwarf apples. Even though they were still tiny when we moved, ohhh the taste. (Too bad a possum pilfered most of my peach crop within a couple hours of them getting ripe! But that's another story...)

I still try to keep an eye toward aesthetics too, but that's only one piece of the puzzle. I've gotten great ideas from some great books in the meantime. I've become a voracious reader of off-the-beaten-path gardening books. The library is my friend.

Plus, when you have almost 9 acres, you can do a little bit of everything, given enough time...

 
At 4/13/2006 10:34 PM, Blogger e4 said...

beo - let me know how it goes. Or better yet, post it on your blog. I love the concept, but haven't had a chance to read up on very many specific guild combinations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home