Thursday, April 20, 2006

Bye-bye Wendy & Ron!

You know, my love for gardening is obvious. My interest in sustainable agriculture grows with every book or article I read about it. I love the idea of home-grown fruits and vegetables, farmers' markets, organic and natural farming techniques...

I talk a good talk, but the truth is, I have an Achilles' Heel: Fast food. It tastes good, it's quick, and I don't naturally have a lot of food guilt. I eat stuff that tastes good, I enjoy it, and I don't regret it. Well, at least not mentally.

But fast food also tends to make me feel like crap later on. And actually, as often as not, it doesn't even taste as good as I think it should. It's about as unhealthy as any food can be. It's based on some pretty scary farming and processing practices. It costs money that could easily be spent on something useful. It's a waste of gas. It makes a mess of my car. Based on the trash I clean up out of our roadside ditches, it's got to be the #1 or #2 source of litter. (Aluminum cans are the competitor. I'm troubled by how many beer cans I find. Are there that many people drinking beer in the car?)

I had to drive to Cincinnati today. I had fast food on the way down, and again on the way back. I don't feel very good tonight. While I was taking the garbage cans out to the street, one of them spilled. As I was picking up the stuff that fell out, I was appalled at how much of it was fast food bags, wrappers and cups.

So I've had enough. I am publicly stating here and now, that I will not eat any fast food for the next month. None. Cold turkey. After a month, I'll see how I feel.

Wish me luck. Keep me honest.

I shall now go read Fast Food Nation....

5 Comments:

At 4/21/2006 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear.... Does this mean I have to start cooking again??

I think I'm not quite ready to kick the habit. Can I borrow that book when you're done?

 
At 4/21/2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

Hey You go boy.

I wish I could but I'm addicted and that would me I would have to pick up a new addiction and well I just don't think I am ready for that.

Keep us up dated on the cold sweats and the dreams of big mac's attacking.

 
At 4/21/2006 11:02 AM, Blogger Mia said...

If you haven't seen it, I highly reccomend Super Size Me as well. We really ramped up our fast food consumption when we moved. With all of the back and forth, it was so much easier to stop at McD's than eat real food, and it never really stopped. Until we watched Super Size Me. I think we've had fast food twice in the past 6 months now. It feels so much better--Mentally, and physically. You can do it!

 
At 4/21/2006 9:07 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

I agree with Mia. We eat fast food about twice a year and even then it's Wendy baked potatoes or salad. But Super Size Me only fueled our desire to stay as far away from deep fried foods as possible! Did you know that by age two french fries become the #1 vegetable eaten by children? How sad is that.

 
At 4/21/2006 9:56 PM, Blogger Beo said...

For the first several weeks I would get antsy whenever I saw a burger joint-it was the salty fries mostly and I still want an egg McMuffin now and again-but after nearly 18 months Fast Food Free (ish-we're not perfect) I can't explain the difference in how I feel-lighter is the closest I guess. Pure-er works too. What is most important for me is the fact that our kids are learning first hand god eating habits-we ate out Nepalese tonight and while they didn't eat the takari-they did eat the dal and roti. not bad for two midwestern toddlers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home