Saturday, April 22, 2006

Inside the Mind of a Three-Year-Old

What must it be like to be with very few pre-conceived notions? How does it feel to experience so many things for the first time?

I'm really enjoying that aspect of parenthood - seeing the world through the eyes of my kids. They just see things so differently. They notice things that we walk right by. They come up with ideas from an entirely different place.

My son has started making up names for his toys. It started a while back, when we got this squishy, spiny, stretchy thing that looks like the love child of a koosh and a shower cap. Well, when you put it on your hand, it becomes a monster. At least to my little boy. So after we played with it for a while, I gave it a voice, and a name. It was just some made up word. But Edson told me that wasn't it's name. So I tried again. Nope. I went through quite a few names, but none of them were to his liking.

So finally, I asked him what the monster's name was.

"Gargwoj," he replied. So, Gargwoj it was. And is.

A couple weeks later, he was playing with some weird little doll with orange hair.

"What's that?" I asked.

"It's a girl."

"Oh, ok. What's her name?"

Without missing a beat, he said, "Carlit."

"Carlit?"

"Yeah, Carlit."

A few days later, he came to me, saying "Daddy, daddy, come look. He's Humby."

"He's hungry?"

"Humby! This is 'Humby.'"

"The caterpillar toy is named Humby?"

"Yeah."

I have to say, the names suit the toys pretty well.

A couple days ago, Lori got him a toy parking garage. Not knowing what it was called, he dubbed it a "car director."

The other funny thing he does, when he forgets which parent he's talking to, is alter his sentence on the fly.

"Look at this mm-my daddy."

"Come over here daa-t mommy."

He's a funny kid....

3 Comments:

At 4/23/2006 4:23 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

Gotta love um.

Mo is the same way.

Not to mention some of the wierder names she has come up with have turned out to be real names.

So now we live with a house full of Siennas and Hanks and Douglas'es and Compies and Insies and so on.

Enjoy it! It will never end or at least it hasn't in the last 4 years

 
At 4/23/2006 8:22 AM, Blogger Mia said...

That's so cool. Our kids name everything after themselves. It does make it easier to remember what all of the different names are though. The one I have trouble with is correcting their mispronunciations. I wanted Sprout to call helicopters "yellowdocters" and Bird to say "tangaroo" instead of kangaroo forever.

 
At 4/23/2006 8:36 AM, Blogger Suzer said...

I agree with looking at the world through your child's eyes. I have always admired the beauty of my surounding, but somewhere along the line I ceased to do it everyday. Now Maya makes me look at the sky and say "Wow, you're right! That cloud does look like a dog!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home