Monday, September 24, 2007

Who said raising livestock isn't fun?

Imagine, if you will, two young, 75-pound skittish male goats. Now imagine that they have to be loaded into a cage, in the bed of a pickup truck, to be taken to a livestock auction. Now imagine a pregnant woman and a man with a broken wrist trying to corner them in an acre of pasture and get them loaded up into the aforementioned truck, while a four-year-old shouts helpful instructions from the cab. Be sure to include a soundtrack of either the Keystone Kops or Benny Hill.

It was, um, interesting. Not quite as interesting as our next task - to separate one 125-pound adult buck, in, um, "full bloom", from his, er, "life partner." And then load him into the same cage as the two younger bucks. It was a long and lonely summer for the two adult males, and they spent the past couple months stinking up the neighborhood. Instead of white, they are completely covered in a kind of yellowish-brown hue, from spraying their own pungent urine on themselves and each other. They had their pink lightsabers drawn and were not in any mood to be separated.

We got them loaded. Don't ask how. And I got to drive them to the auction yard, with what can only be described as an all-male goat orgy in my rearview mirror. We trailed an invisible plume of goat stink and unfiltered truck exhaust, which must have left an indelible, malodorous film on everything within 50 yards of State Route 138 between Circleville and Hillsboro.

Oh, but I didn't describe the accompanying sound wave. Imagine the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character, with his voice dropped a couple of octaves, and filtered through a large spinning fan blade. Add one loud, unmuffled truck engine.

Luckily, our route led us through a lot of sparsely populated farmland. Even so, I'm pretty sure there are a few people along that route who are scarred for life.

Sorry, my camera's broken, so no pictures to go with this story.
--

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9/24/2007 4:44 PM, Blogger barefoot gardener said...

Oh, my golly-gosh! The visual! I don't know if I should laugh or look for a sharp, pointy object to poke out my mind's eye....

 
At 9/24/2007 5:32 PM, Blogger JBTW said...

Don't think we'll be needing a photo! ;)

 
At 9/24/2007 5:49 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Well, at least you still have your sense of humor ;).

 
At 9/24/2007 11:58 PM, Blogger Suzer said...

Laughing...so...hard...can't...type!

 
At 9/26/2007 9:14 AM, Blogger Chile said...

LOL! Picture this: loading the neighbor's escaped goat into the king cab section of your truck to drive it the 3 miles home. Yes, INSIDE the truck. Missed a doctor's appointment to rescue their goat but at least it didn't poop in the truck cab (like our husky did when we first got him).

I hope you'll be getting that camera fixed soon! Although in this case, Scratch and Sniff sounds more appropriate....

 
At 9/29/2007 12:27 AM, Blogger Robbyn said...

Oh dear...laughing SO hard! (I've been rethinking the male goat idea prior to this post...you've now convinced me for life!)

 
At 9/30/2007 4:31 PM, Blogger maggie said...

I am chuckling. I know how difficult two very tame dairy does can be when they feel like it (and there's no odor). I can only imagine. I'm also glad I don't live on your route to auction. I have moved the two very tame girls (they're really labradors with udders...) in the back of a Honda CRV and there was only one accident. Right when I pulled up to our barn...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home